Who knew making ice pops were so easy? I sure didn’t!! I ordered my ice cream molds from Tupperware and I love them (they call them lollitups). You get different brands but the Tupperware ones are nice cause 1. they don’t have a sharp stick that can poke toddlers eyes out, 2. you can put them in the dishwasher and 3. you use the mold as a handle which also catches melting ice cream.
The basic recipe has only 2 ingredients, and then you can add whatever you want to spruce it up
- 2 small bananas (or 1 large banana)
- 1 cup yogurt (we make our own full cream yogurt but low fat or Greek will work as well)
- Optional: 1 tsp honey or xylitol or whatever you prefer according to taste (remember no honey for babies under 1 year old)
- Optional: Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Mash up the banana. Add the yogurt and sweetener and mix well. I used a stick blender. Put your ‘banana smoothie’ into the molds and freeze overnight (or at least for about 5 hours). Voila!
- After the lollies are frozen, drizzle some melted dark chocolate over. In my photo I added nuts & sprinkles over the chocolate. What kid doesn’t love some sprinkles?!
- Add 1/2 cup of strawberries or any other fruit to your smoothie mix (banana and yogurt)
- Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. I find this makes it more creamy